Remembering Praful Bidwai on Human Rights Day | Dec 10 | 6 pm |
Praful’s death on 23 June this year was met with widely felt shock in South Asia and elsewhere as his courageous journalism, environmental activism and anti-nuclear as well as anti-communal activism and had won him vast numbers of admirers across the subcontinent and the globe. His latest book, The Phoenix Moment, investigates whether the Left’s core agenda of progressive or socialist transformation can yet be reinvented and restored to relevance – either with its own agency or through other forces, formations and initiatives.
Alternative Law Forum, Environment Support Group, Karnataka Komu Souharda Vedike, New Socialist Alternative, People’s Solidarity Concerns, People’s Union for Civil Liberties and others are associated with the event.
Panelists speaking on this day are:
• Lawrence Surendra, Social Scientist
• Saumya Uma, Asst. Professor, National Law School of India University, and Assistant Director, Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy
• Suvrat Raju, Physicist, International Centre for Theoretical Sciences of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
• G.N. Nagaraj, Communist Party of India (Marxist) leader
• Cynthia Stephen, Independent writer and researcher will chair the session.
Harper Collins, the publishers, will display copies of the book at the venue and offer a 20% discount.